With approximately 55,000 admissions per year and an average daily population of 10,000, the NYC jail system is one of the largest in the nation. NYC Health + Hospitals/Correctional Health Service (CHS) is a national leader in the delivery of healthcare to the justice-involved population and, with PAGNY’s active support, aspires to the highest standards of care with the goal of meeting or exceeding what is available in the community.
Reporting to the Mental Health Treatment Aide Supervisor on one of the specialty housing units for individuals with serious mental illness and in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team, the Mental Health Treatment Aide will perform crisis and/or de-escalation interventions, therapeutic observations, conducts groups, conducts patient supervision and other behavioral health related duties.
1) Orients patients to the unit policies, procedures, rules, regulations and routine schedule
2) Utilizes crisis and/or de-escalation intervention practices, when necessary and appropriate, with patient whose behavior cannot be otherwise supported without such interventions
3) Identifies patient characteristics and environmental variables that may trigger agitated behavior(s) and communicates such information to the treatment team
4) Performs patient’s checks/rounds as required
5) Report observations, interactions and patient activity and charts in the EHR
6) Communicates clinical matters to assigned Mental Health/DOC or other professional staff as required; reports any unusual findings or changes in physical/medical or emotional conditions to their supervisor that may affect the patient or the therapeutic milieu
7) Escorts patient to groups or other required locations as directed
8) Participates in staff, departmental and team/committee meetings
9) Performs 1:1 monitoring of patients for behavioral management/modification purposes
10) Participates in departmental and/or DOC training as required
11) May lead or co-lead groups/activities in areas such as anger management techniques and practices, and appropriately documents group activities.
12) Responds appropriately to patient emergencies and cooperates with DOC staff when necessary to support the safety of the unit
13) Demonstrates a professional appearance and demeanor at all times
14) Administers first aid/CPR as needed
15) Performs other appropriate mental health duties as directed by team leaders or supervisors
16) May perform suicide watch 1:1
17) Ability to carry out written and oral instructions
18) Ability to establish successful interpersonal relationships with patients and co-workers
INTERFACE WITH DOC STAFF:
1) Engage DOC staff when there is any incident of violence on the unit or when contraband is found on the unit or there is suspicion of contraband
2) Prior to each tour, debrief DOC custodial staff regarding problematic patients or issues on the unit
1) An Associate degree in criminal justice, social services or health related area:
2) A High School diploma or a GED and two years of full-time experience in nursing, behavioral health or other related field.
3) Or any combination of 1 and 2 above
This position will require a background check, security clearance and/or drug screening. PAGNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with federal and state employment opportunity laws, qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, Vietnam era veteran, or disabled Veteran status